To Enrich or Not Enrich Wheat Flour?
28.04.2015
12:30
The Government’s bill on the wheat flour enrichment still fuels hot discussions. The Ministry of Health describes the enrichment of high quality flour with premixes, namely iron and folic acid, as a positive step since it, according to the ministry experts, aims to prevent anemia among certain society groups. Those who oppose the initiative point out the possible danger to people suffering cancer the enrichment may bring about.

In November, Armenia’s government backed the bill as part of the government action plan on enriched wheat flour approved in 2011. UNICEF provides constant support to the program by all necessary equipment for enriching flour, as well as in methodological issues. Parallelly, the Government proposes fines for flour producers who will refuse to enrich their product. If lawmakers adopt the set of amendments, the laws will be enacted in 2016.

Currently, 82 countries in the world have laws regarding enrichment of at least one species of corn.

In cooperation with the Women’s Community Council of Martuni, Media Center held a discussion on the pros and cons of the Armenian Government bill on flour enrichment. The panelists included: Gayane Petrosyan, Institute of Perinatology, Obstetrics and Gynecology; Melita Hakobyan, head of the National Association of Consumers of Armenia; Ashot Karapetyan, biophysics expert; and Anahit Gevorgyan, Head of the Women’s Community Council of Martuni.

Gayane Petrosyan believes as in the entire world, Armenia suffers high prevalence of anemia. “The prevalence rate among pregnant women amounts to 12 percent, with 25 percent among women of reproduction age and 35 among children under 5,” the speaker said.

“Why isn’t pregnancy planned in Armenia?” wondered Melita Hakobyan, disagreeing with the argument that flour enrichment is required for pregnant women. “If it were planned, women would have consulted doctors and taken the required medicine.”

The bill violates the right to information and to choice, Hakobyan and Karapetyan believe. “People do not know what it is all about. They will be stripped of the right to chose as 85 percent of flour is to be enriched, with the other 15 percent being produced by village mills. And as we know, village mills are not presented on the market,” Hakobyan said.

Videos
Print Friendly and PDF
More Press Releases
“Environmental Disaster in Lori: The Consequences of Akhtala Mountain Enrich Combinat”
29.01.2018
12:00
The media regularly reportes that the old mine dumps of Akhtala Mountain Enrich Combinat, situated between Chochkan and Mets Ayrum communities in Lori region, poses a danger to the environment and the population.
“The 4th President of Armenia: a Ceremonial Position or a Weighty Political Figure?”
24.01.2018
12:00
On March 2, 2018, the RA National Assembly will elect the 4th President of Armenia. On January 18, Armen Sargsyan, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Armenia to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Former Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia, was nominated as the candidate for the presidency of the Republic of Armenia during the meeting of the executive body of the Republican Party of Armenia (RPA).
“Does the State Refuse its Obligations? Donation Call by the RA Minister of Defense for the Treatment of the Military Serviceman”
17.01.2018
12:00
On January 13, RA Defense Minister Vigen Sargsyan posted on his Facebook page about the treatment expenses of military serviceman Albert Dallakyan, who was wounded as a result of violating the rules for safe handling with a weapon by the platoon commander. The minister urged to donate for surgery of the wounded soldier abroad. The required amount is 46,000 USD.
“Report on Violations of Conscripts’ Rights during the Conscriptions in 2016-2017”
25.12.2017
12:00
The most urgent issue for conscripts involves the health issues and medical conclusions during conscriptions. In 2016-2017, 50 out of 59 applications filed by the Helsinki Citizens' Assembly-Vanadzor Office referred to the health issues of conscripts.
“Is Forgiving Heads of Communities a Recovery of Local Self - Government System or Promotion of Corruption? Response to Serj Sargsyan’s Speech”
19.12.2017
11:00
On December 9, 2017, during the meeting dedicated to local self-government and territorial administration bodies RA President Serzh Sargsyan stated in particular:
Follow us on social networks
Registration of events
Services
Videos
Press Releases
Armenia-Turkey Events