The founder of the Armenian Institute of International and Security Affairs - AIISA Styopa Safaryan said this as a reply to Media Center’s question if there were enough steps taken by the Armenian side during the discussion at Media Center.
“There had been a military aggression against Nagorno-Karabakh, second, violations of the international humanitarian law occurred in the face of what happened in Talish and in the face of mutilated bodies of the soldiers returned to us. These questions implying certain penalties in international law. But what they did, they persuaded us that this time we will not tell who did it, continue to negotiate,” Styopa Safaryan said.
“Unfortunately, our foreign minister said only that everyone knows in his mind who did and what did but they do not talk about it.”
The political analyst believes that the Armenian side should be able to have presentable and substantiated reports at authoritative international organizations during a few months at most, which would have some impact on these institutions' positions."And in that case we would have a change of circumstances, it would also have a deterrent role in the prevention of new aggression," the speaker said.
Lawyer Gabriel Balayan did not agree with this point of view that nothing was initiated by the Armenian side. He said that the Armenian side sent letters to UN, OSCE, different institutions of Coe.
“I have participated in the work of the group composed by the Defense Ministry on April 2 and 3. I went to Karabakh, Martakert to join the group. The information of all agencies gathered at the group composed by the Presidency and then was disseminated among the international institutions through the diplomatic pipes,” Balayan said.
He added: “Azerbaijan offered at the UN Security Council to withdraw from the ceasefire agreement of 1994 unilaterally, but Azerbaijan's Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov told the OSCE Minsk Group that they had nothing to do with it as it was the ambassadors’ self-activity. I think it was no coincidence that he made such a statement because the Republic of Armenia had done some actions, and this was the result.”
Stepan Safaryan disagreed with Balayan saying that no one officially applied to the UN and mentioned the meeting of his and some experts with Deputy Secretary General of UN in Yerevan where the latter said the following:
“If there is an official application from the Republic of Armenia, , we are ready to proceed with this issue. He also doubted that the UN official made the statement right after the meeting with the Minister of Justice. If at that time (the meeting was held in the first half of April) I could have thought that officials still have not managed to prepare all the necessary documents, then now, more than two months later, the maintained silence gives rise to different conclusions. The question arises, maybe we are not consistent, the professionals do not deal with the question or there are frames that say, well, what happened happened in the past. I do not understand, much time has passed, what is the consequence? Did they conceale the facts or we are not interested?” Safaryan asked.
Both Safaryan and Balayan greeted the member of “Stand up, Armenia” initiative, political scientist Andrias Ghukasyan’s step to send a letter to the Secretary General of the United Nations Ban Ki Moon with the demand to start an international investigation. A video was attached to the letter that made it clear that about 100 Azerbaijanis attack the Nagorno Karabakh borders.
“The image that the international community has is that a military confrontation occurred and the negotiations resumed. This is not a fair policy for both the Armenian and Azerbaijani peoples. There are post-Soviet phenomena in this policy: agreements are reached behind people, mostly painful, and people are rendered some situations, where one of the parties has a guarantee to achieve concrete guaranteed results,” he said.
Andrias Ghukasyan is sure that such situations and policy should be resisted.
“Armenia is not adequate in two issues. First, evidence of Azerbaijani aggression are not properly represented. On April 14, Azerbaijan accused Armenia of being attacked in the UN, a letter was sent officially to all states to express its position in the world, and how did our Foreign Ministry reply to that letter? Armenia issued a statement for the media. Is this action adequate?" he asked, adding, "Aliyev accused Armenia of being attacked ten times in different platforms. The State Department's representative said in a closed meeting materials published on the website of the US Department of State that it is not clear who attacked.”
Arevik Sahakyan, Program coordinator at “Media Center”
To contact the author please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org