Polarization May Pose a Serious Threat to Education System
25.08.2014
12:00
The pledge for success in education is the balanced improvement of schools and education in general, with schools both in remote villages and the capital improving equally.

Today at the Media Center initiated press conference entitled ‘General and Higher Education Correlation: Current Issues’ Serob Khachatryan, Yerevan State University Associate Professor, education expert, and Samvel Karabekyan, Yerevan State University Associate Professor, education expert, spoke on the amendments in the education sector made during the 17 years following Armenia’s independence proclamation and current problems.

Balanced improvement of general education is a must

‘The experience in Finland, Canada, and Estonia proves that a country may develop only in case of balanced education,’ noted Serob Khachatryan, adding that the Armenian society is polarized which is reflected in education as well. Schools in remote communities must be granted more subsidies than those in the capital. The Armenian Government, Khachatryan believes, invests in 20% of the society which is supposed to lead the other 80%. However, it proves impossible to ensure a large-scale progress in a country with 20% well-educated people.

The speaker noted that the integration of 3-4 schools with a low number of school children may result in an educational institution with high potential; still, prior to the integration it is necessary to consider the availability of infrastructure in the given region.

Samvel Karabekyan pointed out 2 key issues pertaining to assessment and professional orientation systems.

‘Currently, an applicant submits his documents to a higher education institution and is later assessed whereas it is illogical because assessment is to precede career choice,’ stated Karabekyan.

Teach to study

’12-year general education has not solved the issue of unloading syllabi,’ noted Serob Khachatryan.

Education in Armenia, the expert is convinced, must not be ceremonial, becoming a series of memorable events.

‘We do not teach children to think. If a child does not think, school knowledge is information noise only,’ believes Serob Khachatryan.

The expert concluded his speech noting that knowledge is now free of charge, thus, the main objective of education institutions must be not only transfer of knowledge but foremost to develop desire to study. Samvel Karabekyan stressed that ‘at school we should teach children not only think but study as well.’

Photos
Videos
Print Friendly and PDF
More Press Releases
New procedure for drug provision in Armenia: restriction of the right to health or improvement of the sector?
07.03.2018
12:00
At the discussion on “New procedure for drug provision in Armenia: restriction of the right to health or improvement of the sector?” hosted by the Media Center on March 7, Anahit Zakharyan, chief child hematologist of the RA MoH, Associate Professor at the Chair of Hematology, YSMU, physician-hematologist at the Hematology Center after R. H.
Armenian Media Discourse on the Nation-Army Concept-2017: presentation of survey results
06.03.2018
12:00
From October 10, 2017 to January 10, 2018, the Armenian TV companies pursued a more one-line information policy on “nation-army” topics and the online media ensured diversity of opinions.
National Assembly monitoring: monitoring results of the 1st and 2nd sessions of the 6th convocation parliament
15.02.2018
13:00
“An unprecedented number of laws were adopted at the 2nd session of the 6th convocation NA,” stated Lusine Vasilyan, NA Monitoring Program Manager at the press conference hosted by the Media Center on February 15, summing up the findings of the NA monitoring of the 1st and 2nd sessions of the 6th convocation parliament.
“POSSIBLE IMPACT OF US SANCTIONS ON ARMENIA FOR ENGAGING IN MILITARY DEALS WITH RUSSIA”
14.02.2018
12:00
The US Embassy in Yerevan does not deny that in case of engaging in "significant deals" with Russian military industry complex companies, Armenia or any other country may be targeted by the new sanctions.
‘THE FATE OF ZVARTNOTS AIRPORT OLD BUILDING: ASSESSMENT OF THE NEW DRAFT’
08.02.2018
12:00
The draft Master Plan for 2018-2022 presented by the Concessionaire of Zvartnots International Airport and Gyumri Shirak Airport stipulates demolishing the old building of Zvartnots Airport.
Follow us on social networks
Registration of events
Services
Videos
Press Releases
Armenia-Turkey Events