TITLE: Assistant Editor
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 24.03.2014
JOB DESCRIPTION: The incumbent will assist in performing daily organizational and administrative activities under the supervision of Project Manager and Project Coordinator.
The Assistant Editor of the Media Center will:
- Oversee the content and quality of the project publications;
- Prepare, rewrite or edit press releases to improve readability;
- Proofread the texts to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, syntax and logical structure;
- Match contents of press releases to the organization style and policy;
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using reference sources;
- Generate ideas for discussion topics in close collaboration with the Project Coordinator and the project team;
- Reply to and analyze feedback and communication - this will include social media monitoring;
- Be responsible for the relevance of all the online published material produced and published by the Media Center in Armenian, English and preferably Russian;
- Keep existing content on the web platforms of the Media Center accurate and up-to-date;
- Identify new content themes / opportunities;
- Edit and translate texts by other contributors from Armenian into English and/or Russian;
- Ensure timely and accurate status updates on the Media Center's social network pages;
- Assist Project Director, Project Coordinator and Editor in development, execution and ongoing processes within the project;
- Perform other editorial duties as necessary;
- Develop, maintain, and update the website, ensuring usability and appeal to targeted audience;
- Administer the website's content and structure, oversee technical and content related tasks;
- Ensure the Media Center events are cybercast at Ustream and embedded at the Media Center website;
- Ensure the video footage is uploaded and disseminated via YouTube and social networks;
- Determine sources of web page or server problems, and take action to correct such problems;
- Assure web-based information is archived for future needs and reference;
- Use metadata and other methods to optimize search engine positions;
- Communicate with other site owners in order to maximize incoming links;
- Ensure the site is listed in relevant indexes and directories.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or other relevant discipline;
- At least 2 years’ first-hand experience in NGO or media company;
- Proven ability to write, edit, and produce press releases and other informational material in Armenian, English, preferably Russian;
- Experience working with donors, civil society, international organizations.
- Excellent command of office software, strong computer skills, video and audio equipment;
- Proficiency in Armenian and English, good command of Russian.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Qualified and interested candidates are requested to submit a CV/ Resume and a cover letter in English email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please indicate Assistant Editor in the subject line.